Because you’re going to have those days.
I have a desk drawer that, covered, looks like this.
The black part comes off, though, and here’s what’s hiding underneath. I know- not the cutest thing, but I like to be a bit discreet.
- Extra glasses. My eyes are pretty bad, so if I had contact trouble or break my glasses, I would be completely incapacitated without backups.
- Tylenol and Advil (including some extra-strength)- for those days when your headache just will not quit.
- Extra tissues. Since this photo, I’ve found a pack of the lotion ones and I’ve stashed those instead for when I’m really sick.
- *ahem* Feminine needs. Don’t forget this one.
- Last time I needed new foundation, I put the almost-gone bottle in here for when I forget staff picture day or have a breakout out of nowhere. This is pretty necessary for a girl like me who goes sans makeup most days.
- A basic eyeshadow. It’s not my favorite, but it’ll do in a pinch to make me look a bit more pulled together (or awake).
- Face moisturizer and body lotion. (I usually go for a scented lotion so that if I feel a little gross I can smell a bit better. Nothing too overpowering, though.)
- Spare hairbrush.
- Bed Head “Control Freak”- so great for controlling frizz.
- Extra hair ties. Usually for me, but occasionally I’ll give one to a kid if they really need it (either for hair, or for something like a makeshift belt).
- Shout Wipe (or Tide pen)- you’re gonna need this at some point… probably on a day when you have a meeting/ conference/ observation.
- Lock De-Icer. Or maybe it’s only my old car that doesn’t love Indiana winters. After one time of having to crawl in from a back door and climb over the seat, I decided to leave one of these bad boys at school juuust in case I can’t tug even the back door open next time.
- Emergency chocolate. I, however, have zero willpower, so you’ll notice it’s not here.
- Vitamin C drops. I love the ones that taste like candy for when I feel a cold coming on. I know a lot of other teachers who depend on Airborne or Emergen-C.
- Cough drops or sore throat drops.
- Some kind of granola bar or meal bar, and maybe a bag or two of microwave popcorn- something that will tide me over when I forget my lunch!
- A sweater for when your room is cold. (A simple black or white cardigan will go with almost anything!)
- Comfy flats (if you wear heels often).
- Spare cell phone charger.
So, tell me, teachers… what are YOUR must-haves for a teacher emergency?